A vegan morning scramble is nothing without a tofu scramble seasoning. Honestly, the seasoning step of meals is what makes or breaks it. Tofu is unique in that it takes on the flavors of items that are put with it. If you don’t put any seasoning on your tofu scramble, it will taste bland and you’ll hate it! A near-fatal mistake for new vegans.
This spice blend is one that you can premix and keep in your spice drawer and use repeatedly. It’s kind of like those blends you get from Trader Joe’s, but better because you made it.
Why Make a Spice Blend?
Having a spice blend is beneficial for many reasons. It takes a little time upfront, but like any good prep, your life gets way easier once it’s done. Here are some of the benefits of making a tofu scramble seasoning blend.
- It saves you time. If you’re trying to whip up a quick breakfast, measuring 7 different spices isn’t exactly “quick.” Having your seasoning ready to go makes breakfast a breeze.
- You’ll save your other spices. I don’t know about you, but I was notorious for shaking the spices over my scrambles and letting all the steam into my spice jars. Only to find the spices would get stuck and go bad. Steam is bad for your spices.
- Fewer dishes. Instead of having multiple teaspoons, tablespoons, and a bowl to wash, you’ll only have to wash one thing: a tablespoon.
Picking Your Spices
You might want to go for many flavor profiles when making a tofu scramble. This recipe is going to be your BASE recipe. If you want to add any additional spices, feel free but don’t leave any of these out for the best results.
Gather your ingredients. For this recipe, you’ll need;
- Turmeric gives it an “egg-like “color.
- Black Salt gives it an “egg-like” flavor.
- Nutritional Yeast
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder. I used black garlic because I had it but any garlic powder will work! 😉
- Black Pepper
Along with the spices, you might find it useful to have a closeable spice bottle from the Dollar Store or use one of your empty spice jars. If you don’t have any of those, you can use any sealable container or baggie.
How To Make Tofu Scramble Seasoning
Once you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to mix them all. I find it useful to use a funnel to help get all the spices into the jar instead of all over the counter, but hey it’s up to you.
Once it’s all mixed, use a funnel to add it to your storage container of choice.
Eggy Tofu Scramble Seasoning For Your Spice Drawer
Tofu scramble is a staple vegan breakfast. This is one of the first things people learn to make. Here's your go-to spice mix to add to your tofu scramble. Use about 1 tablespoon per block of tofu scramble, or to taste.
In a small bowl, add all the spices and mix until combined. Once combined, put a funnel into an empty spice jar and pour the spices in carefully.
Like it spicy? Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the mix!